Food Working Party
The Food Party has met on several ocassions over the last year to discuss the school dinner menu and other issues around food within our school. The Food Standards that the school adheres to, as set out by the government, helped inform the discussions and ideas to develop healthy eating at Hinguar.
Improving Actions taken so far by the school:
- Introduction of fresh yoghurt as a daily option and reduction of cake desserts.
- Taster sessions for parents including for new early year starters to experience a meal with their parents as part of the induction process.
- Sweet potato provided as an alternative to potato on some occasions.
- Offering a cold option of food wraps on a daily basis.
Next focus for school action:
- To recruit a group of parent volunteers to help the children tend the school's allotment to grow vegetables as part of the school getting Jamie Oliver’s Garden Kitchen Project up and running.
- To recruit a group of parents to help cooking with our children as part of the school's food education curriculum.
- To consider and review the current method of paying for school meals.
The next Food Working Party will be held on Tuesday 3rd May at 9.00am. Please come along and have your say regarding healthy menus and suggestions you might like to put forward.